Recently, a prospective client said they wanted to get customers’ attention through non-traditional marketing using printed products. Who knew that in 2016, the printed word would be considered “non-traditional?” Non-traditional? We’re saying this about a medium that was developed back in the 1400’s by Johannes Gutenberg! While Webster’s (of dictionary fame) mind might be little blown by this reference, when you think about it, it actually makes a lot of sense.
For the past two decades, digital media has been rapidly replacing many of our formerly traditional ways of doing things, from watching television, reading the newspaper, to yes…print marketing. With the democratization of information that the internet has brought, more and more people are consuming this information digitally. Social media and search engine algorithms target our interests and bombard us with advertisements directed at those interests, to the point that we’ve become immune to the ancillary advertising “noise” that surrounds the article that we are reading online. Ad-ridden blogs and online media are now considered traditional.
Getting Attention With Quality Print Marketing Materials
A well-designed print marketing device can effectively break through the noise and grab your customers’ attention. Print marketing can take on many forms, including:
- Business Cards: Different shapes, sizes, die cuts, and formats grab people’s attention and make for some great talking points that help build relationships.
- Invitations: Having a grand opening or special occasion? Send out printed invitations and make people feel they are connected.
- Postcards: Whether for direct mail purposes or periodic sales or coupons, postcards can bring in a surprising amount of business.
- Menus of Services or Products: Printed on high-quality paper with excellent design and copy, these types of marketing products add personality to your business.
Poke Your Customers Periodically to Keep Yourself on Their Minds
Marketing doesn’t end when the sale is made. Customer retention is a key part of a successful marketing plan. Following up with the customer can increase retention and build loyalty. Sure, you could send them an email, but really, email is where messages go to die. Consider instead a few timed mailings to keep them engaged, such as:
- Thank You Cards: Sending out a card thanking them for their purchase and providing a time-limited discount on their next purchase makes customers feel appreciated and welcome.
- Seasonal Postcards: Consider seasonal postcards with loyalty discounts on relevant seasonal items.
- Referral Cards: Create loyalty and more business by sending out referral cards to encourage your customers to spread the word. You could also offer a discount to both the existing customer and the new customer they bring in.
- Stickers: Put your logo, tag line or a branded and relevant inspirational quote on a sticker to put on cars, computers, water bottles, and other personal gear.
Obtain Thought-Leader Status With Print Magazines or Newsletters
While many of the more traditional news magazines are transitioning to digital-only formats, the fact of the matter is, 80% of individuals who read newspapers read them in print. People actually trust written content more than they trust online content. This is true of both information and of advertising. So, depending on your industry, it may be a good idea to create a periodical print magazine or newsletter to give your customers or prospects informative and entertaining news and information that they will be excited to get each month, quarter or year.
Want to try this “non-traditional” marketing? We can help design, print and mail all your print marketing pieces. Call (847) 768-2679 or email us today at email@example.com!